Tuesday, August 17, 2010

24 Week Appointment

I had my 24 week appointment today and everything went great! Baby Jack had a heartbeat rate of 150 bpm. They measured my belly and it is 23 centimeters...full term it will measure about 40 centimeters. I also learned that I've gained 12 pounds so far (less then I thought!)...he said I probably have another 12 pounds to go. The doc says I'm doing everything right and I look great! Next month they will test me for gestational diabetes which can be very common in pregnant women.

Update on Baby Jack:

Jack has been growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (about the length of an ear of corn) he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

Jack has also been very active....I feel him moving all the time!! I think he's really starting to pick up familiar sounds...last week, it was really quiet in the office and nobody was here. I was sitting quietly at my desk....I think he was sleeping because I wasn't feeling him move at all. Once we left work, Scott and I got in the car and Scott got on his phone....if you know Scott at all, he talks really loud when he's on the phone....well, I'm pretty sure he woke Jack up because all of a sudden he started kicking me like crazy!! It was so cute....I think he's already familiar with his Daddy's voice! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment